And another “hot” tablet was just unveiled yesterday to join those Galaxy Tabs, iPads, Streaks & co… and to crunch & reduce the netbook market to an even minor percentage if possible.. the BlackBerry Playbook… with its very own specific OS developed by the acquired QNX (some say it’s a bit WebOS inspired) and trying to out stand where the iPad can’t….
In things like flash support, camera capabilities or the famous and traditionally painful word (for Apple)… multitasking…. positioning themselves more as a “professional” tablet.
We admit we like the “black” professional high-end look & finish, it does make it look something capable & powerful, not just a baby-toy. However… whether they can manage to make it succeed with an extensive app catalog, video game & magazine publisher support and all that comes together… is definitely another story.
The list of features….
– 7-inch LCD with 1024 x 600 resolution, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
– BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
– 1 GHz dual-core processor
– 1 GB RAM
– Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording
– Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
– Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
– HDMI video output
– Wi-Fi – 802.11 a/b/g/n
– Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
– Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
– Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
= Measures 5.1″x7.6″x0.4″ (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
Weighs around 400g and besides offering 3G connectivity it should offer 4G in future models
We still don’t know the launch date (“early 2011” they say) or the pricing … but we bet you should start saving around 600€ if you’re a BB lover… or better, wait until HP slate joins the game and then finally compare compare compare!